Wednesday 16 March 2011

Make A Simple Necklace Tidy {Waste Not Wednesday}

I know that I've been neglecting my little blog for the past few months but spring has finally sprung; my mojo is back and there is light at the end of the 'huge piece of work that has been killing my social life' tunnel. So, at the weekend, I decided that a little spring clean of the craft room was in order and one of my first tasks was to come up with somewhere to put some of my finished jewellery.

As someone who likes to design her own stuff, I'm often a little short on space to keep all of the necklaces and bracelets that I make and I absolutely hate it when they get tangled after being thrown in a drawer or jewellery box. I knew that I really needed somewhere to hang them, so I rummaged around in my stash until I found a piece of binder from an old diary and then pulled down a piece of artwork that usually hangs above my desk. The result is a cute, but ever so simple, solution.

Now make your own version using my (almost) completely redundant how-to. You all know how to punch holes, right?

Jewellery Holder

You'll Need

Artwork - My little tongue in cheek beauty came from the 31 Experiment almost two years ago. It's still there and downloadable but if it doesn't float your boat try Feed Your Soul for similar, free art work.
Binder - from an old diary or photo album.
Cardstock - in whatever size you have handy.
Hole punch or crop-o-dile.
Drawing pins or ribbon.
Pencil.

1. Print your graphic onto your cardstock. (I'm easing you in gently.)

2. Line up your binder with the base of the cardstock. If the binder isn't long enough to cover the base completely either center it or cut it into two and line up against the edges. Whatever works best for you.

3. An old page or cover from the diary will help you line up the holes or you can mark the base of the cardstock where you will need to punch holes by marking it with pencil where the 'prongs' touch the page.

4. Punch holes. (Shocking that that came next, right?)

5. Pass the binder through the holes in your cardstock, making sure that you 'thread' the binder through the holes from front to back.

6. Use drawing pins or ribbon to hang and then stand back and admire your new jewellery hanger, made in a matter of minutes.

Jewellery Hanger

Such a simple project, but believe me it makes a huge difference to the tidiness of my craft room and, surprisingly, all of my guests have commented on how much they like the idea. There's lots of ways that you can personalise it with your choice of graphic or by embellishing with your scrapbooking stash.

As always, let me know if you have any questions. And, I'd love to know if you try this or any of my other Waste Not Wednesday projects. They're over there in the right hand side bar, in case you're wondering :)

10 comments:

  1. Clever!

    I discovered Feed Your Soul recently - it's a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most beautiful and lovely :-) Please may I have 5 for my ever-growing necklace collection?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! You are so clever and I love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great tute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. And simple can never be a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a great organiser and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great project Clair! I must make one. Thanks for the link to Feed Your Soul, I'm just finishing my middle room and wanted some artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clair, you genius of excellent makey ideas you! This is so awesome. Also...hi! It's been ages and I am so excited that I've actually found a way to comment for the first time in about 50 gazillion years. Will email you in a few. (Days not years)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot get over how clever you are! What a lovely idea - it looks amazing. It is so wonderful to hear from you. Hope all is well in Clair-land.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SUPER cute and clever idea, Clair! Thanks for the inspiration. :o)

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments! Thank you x